Friday, October 13, 2006

The honourable defeat

The defeat. Last sunday the Black Knight entered a 10 km. in S.Marinella a town near my home city. He didn't want to race because he is following the marathon program but the President of the running team (Anna Baby Runner) needed some runners more. The Black Knight is a brave warrior so he said yes even if the day before he made a workout 25 km. (15.5 miles) long: half with a friend and half alone.
Luckily the path was mainly flat, but the Knight was tired again and legs were sore, so he decided only to keep a sub 5'oo"/km (08'03"/ml) pace. The final time was 48'47" for a declared 10 km. (the Garmin said 10.26 km./6.37 ml): mission accomplished!
But the final result was ridiculous: 84° of 100 and 7° of 8 in his age group!!!!!
Here is the photo of the loot (for the age group):
Photos: About this topic, if you like, have a look on the top-right and, clicking on "photos", you will see the Black Knight's running story in the period 1986/2005. I could not put the most recent pictures because I have hit the upload monthly limit.
The scheduled program: I am following the program for the Florence Marathon with the help of Sir giorgio when he is not busy. Tomorrow 30 km (18.6 ml) are waiting for me. For this reason I will not enter a memorial 10 km in my city.
The concert: The boss Bruce Springsteen made a concert in Rome, in a sold out palasport, with a 17 persons band. It was unforgettable, 2 hours and 15 minutes of music, playing all the songs of his last cd "We shall overcome" with the Seeger Session. It was amazing to see all the people singing and dancing for more than 2 hours. The best concert I have ever seen.

15 comments:

  1. that much for a 10k? for the melbourne marathon we got a bag. and a flimsy one at that. is it because we don't have gladiator and caesar genes in our blood? why do you get such great loot?

    what is bucaneve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the "loot" is fantastic you Italians know how to do it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Boss is awesome! Lucky you for getting to his concert. I used to have all his albums, yes I said albums. Cause he was my hero before CDs...lol. "Born to Run" was my favorite for the longest time.

    Love the loot. Cool that it includes things like pasta. Too bad airfare is so much or I'd be over there just to get that loot bag. Of course, I'd be 100 out of 100 so don't feel bad about being 84th. Besides you needed to save your legs for that long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Pinks thoughts...keep your eye on the "A" race....good stuff is just around the bend fratello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raw spaghetti?? Mama Mia!! I need to do a race in Italy!

    I also had to "save" myself in my recent race to be more rested up for an upcoming Marathon. I came in dead last!! But I had a blast! More power to those of us that use our heads first!

    The concert sounded fabulouso--lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like everyone is fast there where you run!

    Better to keep the enemy distracted for a surprise on the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some tough competition in those races indeed. Glad to hear that the concert was great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't see the photo of the loot - it won't open for me!

    Wo - going to a Bruce Springsteen concert. Mr CJ would love that! Actually I don't mind him either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Germany you generally only get loot if you take one of the first 3 places in your age group. Good job with the race despite running 25K the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That loot is a hoot. I wish more American races adopted the Italian version of age group awards. Of course, we'd be rolling, instead of running, the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black knight is not defeated but merely lulling his enemies into a false sense of security!

    Forza Cavaliere Nero!

    ReplyDelete
  12. loot! .... is that chocolate? ... that Is chocolate isn't it!!!!! it is lucky CJ can not see this loot .... we would not be able to hold her back

    no defeat in that run form all i can workout ..... very good practice for you marathon

    thanks for your comments and well wishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did the Boss sing an appropriate song to cheer the triumph of the Black Knight and his Army? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wise warrior knows how to pick his battles. This was not a defeat--you are saving yourself for the more important Florence marathon. I'm glad you enjoyed the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that's some nice schwag for a 10k! beware the enemy. he lurks everywhere!

    ReplyDelete