Monday, November 27, 2006

Firenze marathon 2006: the report

The legend. When the Black Knight arrived to Florence, noticed a dirty trick of the scared enemy. Instead of finding warriors in uniform, he was surrounded by a crowd of soldiers in civil suits so it was difficult for him to defeat easily the garrison. Moreover the Army of the city was enforced by many mercenaries from USA and France, for this reason he had to plan a search and destroy tactic.
The battle, under a shining sun, was bloody but after 3.46.35 Florence surrendered and now the black flags wave on Palazzo Vecchio! Today in Piazza della Signoria the devoted people are building the Black Knight’s statue not to forget his glorious victory!
Serious Report. 2689° of 6971 with a real time of 3.46.35.
The race was not easy because too much crowded and with many miles through narrow ancient streets. For example I ran the 1st km. in 06.40. A bad crises came at the 30° km. (18.6 ml) where I did a long stop to drink and to make pee pee. By the 30° km I stopped the run every 5 km to drink in order: water, tea and salt. The statistics of the crisis are evident: first half marathon in 1.47.18, second half in 1.59.17 where I covered the last 5 km in 30’09”!
By the way it was a race in progression because at the 5th km I was 3040°, 10th km. - 2987°, 15th km. - 2957°, half marathon - 2963°, 25th km. - 2917°, 30th km. - 2801°, 35th km. - 2757°, 40th km. - 2740° and 42,197th km. - 2689°.
Many runners from other countries entered the race, mainly French (in their honour, after the race, I wore the blue t-shirt of the Italia team). From USA there were a big group from Chicago (AIDS marathon training program group) and a battalion of airborne infantry in black armour!!!!! I had mercy because we were so similar: cut hair and black uniform!
The learnt lesson. I followed a wrong training schedule even if I had a stop in September for the flu. The main mistakes: I didn’t care to do speed-work sessions, I didn’t do workouts on uphills, 2 long distance runs of 30 and 33 km (18.6 and 20.5 miles) are not sufficient and the medium sessions had to be a little more longer.
The pictures? Very soon!!!!
New entry: To celebrate the wonderful victory we appoint Lady neese as Black Knight Army's Princess. Now we have 2 Princess!

21 comments:

  1. Nice job BK! I'm with you on the hill training - I have to incorporate more of those runs especially for Boston!! Great progression marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great time! I can't believe you are being critcal. And look - they put your picture right on the medal. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the training didn't get you the time you wished for but way to fight the enemy out there regardless and finish with a good time, especially considering all the stops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on another conquest. How did they manage to get the Black Knight's picture on the medal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job finishing up the conquest Stefano!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a great victory, your statue will replace David, I presume?

    You might have slowed down in the second half, but the runners around you obviously slowed down more. If you can run such a great time with apparently wrong the wrong kind of training, imagine what you will do after a cycle of correct training!

    Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done - thats not a shabby time forthe marathon. I think the Black Knight has another victory to his name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sir Knight, it looks like you did a great job to me.

    I am concerned for my marathon on not having enough long runs (only 2 over 20 miles) but have a lot of hill, speed and middle distances.

    A very respectable time and glad you kicked some French Booty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a similar slow down happen to me in the marathon as well. I think I ran about 1:51 the first half and 2:08 the second half. We will both be better trained for the next one.

    Congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cavaliere nero, secondo me, hai conquistato Firenze con grande onore, anche se l'hai fatto un po' lentamente.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who's idea was it to drink TEA during the race?! That will make pee pee for sure! Despite the lack of speedwork and hill training, you seem to have done an outstanding job. Tea-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Ihatetoast: Yes, I conquered Florence slowly but the battlefield was too much crowdy, on the roofs there were many snipers, through the narrow streets I had to face a dirty guerrilla, the ground was full of traps and many enemies didn't wear the uniform. You know, the search and destroy tactic needs time......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Viva the Victory! To finish is a great achievement and a true victory ... the enemy is the one that wants you to stop, to be injured and to give up. You conquered all of these and raised the black flag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the ordeal of the italian leader in florence: well done

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love travelling in italy and this year we have visited twice.

    Welld one on conquering Firenze!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear that your next conquest is planning to hide landmines over the course to slow you down.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Stephano! Great job on your race. And nice medal. I hope you're not too disappointed with your time (which I think was awesome). How did you do for your age group? In my opinion, running a marathon is not only about the speed, but about the valor you put in to cross the finish line. Rest well so you will be ready for your next battle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great time for being undertrained! Great time also for being trained just right... The Black Night, beleaguered and outnumbered, wins another tournament :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love sharing my title with Neese!! Your Princesses will serve you well....cuz we're crazy about each other!!

    Congrats on the race time! I still think it's an awesome time--it's all relative, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are awesome!! i could just CRY when I think how close I was to Florence ... but not close enough! Vive Italia, and the Black Knight! You rock.

    ReplyDelete