Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Gift

Healing update. In this last period the Black Knight had many medical checks and the responses were good for the man but not for the runner. The surgery was perfect and the thigh bone heals fast but the fracture is complicated, the scar is long and in the leg there is much "iron". The doctors advise not to remove the hardware not to risk an infection. As the incident occurred while I was coming back home from my office, I claimed the damages and the recognition as a "job accident". The doctor of the Public Institute I.N.A.I.L. established that I am disable at 16%. The same said the doctor of the Insurance. Now I know that I can walk without problems but I will not be able to run as fast as before that damned Sept. 18th, 2007.
Training. Of course I don't surrender and now the training routine is more complete. I rest only one day a week and on the other six I work hard in the gym lifting weights (also with the injuried leg) and in the swimming pool. But the great news is that I run even if only one minute for 8/9 times during a fast walk on the "dreadmill": in one hour I succeed in covering about km. 6,200 (ml. 3,85). Running on the road is again painful for my knee.
The gift. Yesterday I received this beautiful gift, a wonderful memory: the picture! It was shot on Oct. 16th, 1974 (yes, 34 years ago!) before the rugby match Civitavecchia - Ile d'Oleron. Civitavecchia is my home town and the Ile d'Oleron is a french navy team. The final score was 43 - 10.  The Black Knight (under the arrow) was a young wing 18 y.o.
The picture is moving because now 4 of those Civitavecchia players are playing rugby in heaven. Ciao Gianfranco (flanker), ciao Giorgio (wing), ciao Cecco (lock), ciao Sergio (the best scrum half who I have ever seen), I will never forget you.
                                                    (The B.K. is under the arrow - click on the picture to enlarge) 

22 comments:

  1. the photo is great! glad to hear the leg is healing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding old, treasured photos is almost as much fun as finding a knight that is mending nicely and not letting his army down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift. Hope your healing continues to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a neat photo!

    Glad you are healing, even if it is a bit slower than you'd like. All your hard work will pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that leg continues to improve. Good luck and keep that "don't surrender" attitude!

    Lovely photo. I'm sure you were fast on the wing, but Mrs BK must have been faster - she must have taken one look at you and thought "I better catch him before he gets away".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green wine is young wine. The grapes are picked young. The wine is perfect(o) in the spring.

    I'm in my Italian obsession with food right now. (made Limoncello Semifreddo Saturday night, today is a pear-Roquefort tart. pears and prosciutto- yum) I envy you living in Italy. I had the best manicotti there. It's been 30 years and I can still taste it.

    Good luck with the leg. Rugby always looks like smear the que** to me. Don't take offense...I know US players who play the sport. I enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heal well. Never give up! :-)
    I am so happy to hear of your kittens-on-the-way! CONGRATULATIONS! Nothing like sweet baby kitties to help you heal well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stefano dolce, mi sono dispiaciuto per la perdita del vostro rugby amici. Lei è un bel ragazzo, e sono ansioso di limoni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. kittens? i was already to comment and then *jeanne* said kittens.
    rex kittens? that would make them princes and princesses.

    why is the black knight the only one not looking forward? is the fair queen behind the camera? hm?

    you probably won't run like you used to, but remember what you went through. i think for me and my boo boo, i had to think about a new runner. i can't compare (3 km TT are 16 minutes vs just under 14 min). the important thing is that you can and will run again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your leg is healing. It may take a long time but you will run again and you will run fast.

    I love that picture. How wrong it is that we lose friends so early in life, though. At least you have the photo to remember them and to be reminded of the good times you had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool photo, indeed! It sounds like you are working hard in the gym and in the pool. The time there will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great photo of invincible young men. My high school roommate had various ailments later in life, but I never saw him again after we graduated (I spoke to him on the phone a few times.) He was a gifted athlete, so when I heard he passed on a couple of years ago, I pictured him going into heaven as I last remembered him, a blond giant in vigorous health running after the catch on an 80 yard pass play. I can run those long ago 8 seconds over and over in my mind and still see him perfectly, sprinting down the sideline towards the endzone ahead of everybody. He always scores gloriously!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That picture makes one happy and sad at the same time.

    All the best for more recovery to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Italy beat Scotland - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. dude, in that photo you are what we consider "HOT," a "babe," a "stud," a "hunk!"

    I'm glad to hear you are healing and running! every little bit is cause for victory. You're making a terrific comeback. Watch out enemies of the Black Knight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, fond memories of your sweet youth. Never to be forgotton. As for the leg injury, I can sympathize, having experienced a severe accident in Sept. '06. Give yourself time to heal. I tried to rush things, but in reality, a year isn't too little time. As long as you keep trying to heal and improve, you will succeed. People who have not experienced an injury of this sort cannot realize how difficult--and many times frustrating--the healing period can be. We become impatient, but the body is ready when it is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is an awesome photo. You are definitely a spunk! It's good to read that you are training so hard in the gym. You will be victorious and the hard work will pay off. Good luck and good wishes for a speedy recovery. In the weekend I wore your "Black Knight's Army" t-shirt in your honour. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Black Knight will be victorious!! Continue the great fight, and best wishes for a fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that photo reminds me of the scene from "dead poets society," where robin williams takes has the students look at the old photos - and reminds them what "carpe diem" is all about.

    good luck w/your recovery black knight.

    are you anywhere near abruzzo? sulmona or l'aquila in particular?

    frank

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great picture, Stepano! And I´m so glad you´re able to run again. Don´t get discouraged, you will run faster as you continue to heal. My regards to your gracious Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a bunch of handsome soccer players! :-)

    ReplyDelete