Sunday, April 25, 2010

Miscellanea

Pain: I knew but I didn't want to believe. My knee, after the 2 surgeries at the leg, will not be able to make big efforts anymore. No more runs longer than a half marathon and no more speed work, moreover no more 2 workouts in a row, max every other day. The cross training with the swimming was the right solution not to leave the "running world". Everytime I push the knee "rings the bell" and I must listen to the advice.
Training: This week because of the rain and to avoid damages I swam 3 times (1550, 1600, 2050 meters) and ran twice (11,2 and 15 km) instead of the contrary. I am thinking to enter the 800 meters free style italian swimming championship (master 50-54 y.o.) on June 21st in Ostia (near Rome). I will decide within this month after a couple of tests.
The last of the Black Knights: Indeed my passion has always been rugby and we (my son and I) would like that Leonardo (my grandson) will play rugby one day. Here you can see the past and the future in 2 photos: grandpa Black Knight (under the arrow before a rugby match 35 years ago against a french navy team - yes, 35 years ago!!!) and grandson Leonardo with the shirt of the All Blacks. Click to enlarge:


17 comments:

  1. It is tremendously difficult to need to modify the activities we are passionate about. Remaining healthy and active, and still able to run a half is monumental.

    (Naturally I hope the Black Knight will swim the 800.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks about the knee - really it is so hard to change from what you love to do - but the fact you can do half marathon is pretty awesome! AND good to see you (and your grandson) are an All Blacks fan - I played in college and my roommate was from NZ and we would watch tapes (since there wasn't Rugby here).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fortunate to be out there charging forward in all of your sports...it's hard to accept that we are changing and having to listen so carefully to our bodies but it's a reality! Nice attitude and I know you'll continue to lead full life of running and swimming and not have to abandon the running world. We need you! Your grandson looks ready to go! How old is he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stefano,
    I am sorry to hear about your knee problems:( You hava good attitude and I like the idea of swimming for cross training. You posted such a great picture of Leonardo in his black shirt:) What a sweet little boy! I can see it now...future rugby star:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the knee...but, I see you have the right attitude!
    Love the pics...your grandson is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    I am sorry to hear about your knee. It is great though you can still run though it seems not as much as you would like to.
    Now your grandson looks like a true rugby player. This is one tough sport.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, acceptance. I think more of us need to come to that stage before we permanently damage our bodies. But there is always something else to do! Even if it isn't the same as running...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Black Knight will be victorious, regardless of the sport he chooses. Thank you for sharing the photos - your grandson is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That knee of yours...what can I say? In the meantime, go for the 800!

    I didn't know they had cameras way back then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess it always comes to that point where we need to listen to our bodies, and not our head!

    Adorable future rugby star!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck in the swimming. At least you can still run every second day - just stick to the plan and you will always be the victor! Love the photos - good to see you have a little All Black supporter there in your cute little grandson. Go the Kiwis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your grandson Leonardo is sweet. Don't worry! It's important that you don't lose swimming. Half marathon will be your next goal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting my blog. Italy is indeed a beautiful place. I have been there once but for too short a time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leonardo is sooooo cuuuuute. I know that's not very knightly to say, but I just want to reach out a squeeze his cheeks. I'm sure he'd hate that, so it's a good thing I live far, far away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the photos!

    sorry about your knee, but at least you're not out of the game completely. But I can understand your frustration when you want to go farther than your body will allow.

    enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry that you're not able to compete like you're used to. It's wise to not push it. You can still run to chase your adorable grandson around.

    I am planning a trip to your beautiful country. I sent an email to your yahoo acount, keep a lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete