Sunday, May 02, 2010

The rules

Rules: I learned many important lessons in these latest months. My life changed but I tried to keep on running how if in my leg nothing happened by that unforgettable Sept. 18, 2007. The results were a stress fracture (march 2009) and many stops for long periods. I must always remember I am lucky because I can run 3 years after an orthopedic surgeon told that I would have only been able to walk. Well, now, after many mistakes I gave myself the following rules:
1) The rule of five: 5 weekly cross trainings, if possible 3 runs and 2 swimming. If not possible it doesn't matter, swimming or running are the same thing but the days of rest don't have to be more than 2.
2) Never run 2 days in a row.
3) No repeats. Only tempo runs.
4) No races with long downhill.
5) The monthly increase of mileage must be max 10%
Training: Also this week I swam 3 times (1550, 1550, 1700 meters) and ran twice (14 and 13,2 km) instead of the contrary. For the first time I made a test on the 800 meters f.s. and the final time was 15'58": I need to be faster.
Now a couple of photos. The twin sisters and a little "lake" in the medical centre where I got the plantars for my running shoes (after the surgery I have a leg 1 cm. shorter).

20 comments:

  1. Those sound like good rules to stick to and well done on all that swimming. It's the best total body exercise. I always love your photos and these are no exception - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensible rules - seriously it is amaizing you are running, it is so inspiring. Good luck sticking to the rules! I find that swimming actually helps my running by the way, so great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "self rules" that you have imposed. If you want to keep moving forward, you have to know what you CAN do, as well as what is off limits. It's like walking on a fence; it's balance for your own body and training. I get it.
    You're 53 though and you're still inspired and motivating those around you so thanks for that and keep up the blogging...we need you!
    Nice training this week. The "twins" are heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rules change some to accommodate how you have changed. I've done the same thing. Getting past the injury is the hard part, though. I'm glad to know that you're still going strong and to keep doing what you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, cute twins, good rules...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some rules are meant to be broken; some are meant to be upheld. You know which ones fit into which categories. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rules are helpful. (I have some of my own, too.)

    Those twins are cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are some good rules. I am glad you have made a liar out of your doctor, good for you running instead of walking.

    Love the twins, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to know the limitations of your own body. It's even better to accept them and not go beyond them. I'm sure by sticking to your rules you'll be running for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stefano,
    I think that your rules sound great! Just make sure you follow them....you will continue to stay fit and healthy;) I love the pictures...cute cats and beautiful outside picture! Stefano, I hope that you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That doesn't mean a limitation. Although you would need to follow those good rules, you'll run a half marathon soon. Of course without hard up-hills.

    Are you eating carbohydrates for the next battle? In this perspective I wrote the potatoe dish recipe on my blog :)
    As you know, next Sunday we're going to Rome where we'll run a 10 km race. Let me know what you think about Montalto's 10 km race around the power station. There aren't up-hills!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent rules...you are clearly keeping the goal of running for the long term in mind. Smart guy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great rules - love the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pictures! Impressive that you proved the doctors wrong... Keep moving forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really good rules. I wish I had the discipline to follow my rules. :( The fact that you can run at all only shows you are a disciplined person.

    BTW, those kitties are so cute. We have twin brother and sister. Like typical siblings they either fight or cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rule #6) Eat a lot of ice-cream. (That's what running is for anyway, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the rules and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad you have been able to exceed your doc's expectations. My husband has never been able to run again after blowing out his knees in a marathon (no cartilage left in them). I wish he'd had rules like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great rules, and I'm pretty much following the same, haven't run back to back days since my stress fractures either!

    ReplyDelete