Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Early Bird or Night Owl?

Early Bird or Night Owl? When I began to run in the far 1985 I made all my workouts in late afternoon because it was very difficult for me to make quality works in early morning. Moreover my work-day began at 05.00 a.m. when the first ferry arrived into the port (I was in the Coast Guard) so it was impossibile to run at 03.00 a.m. When I got the present job, I didn’t change my habits and I kept on training at 06.00 p.m. and this also to run with other friends. However I noticed that the best performances happened at 10.00/11.00 a.m. (the workouts of the week-end); of course the races are not included in this statistic because we face them with a different competitive spirit. After the bad incident in 2007 I began to run in early morning at 07.00 before going to work and now this is my usual running-time. This is perfect because I have all the time to recover while I am in office and all the evening for my family or other important things. So a night owl became an early bird. And are you morning or night persons?
The Black Knight Army is everywhere. Talking about birds I must introduce you Pippo who defends the Black Knight Kingdom by the attacks from the sky and Silvietto who defends the Kingdom by the land attacks. Here you can see Silvietto (the black cat of course) while fights against a grey enemy.

Training. I cannot go to the pools again because closed during the week-end and open only while I am at work, so I have to wait for the next month. In the meanwhile I keep on running every other day increasing speed and mileage with the hope to run again a half marathon on oct. 31. Anyway on Sunday I will enter the Grosseto 12 km with sir Giorgio and his squire Massimo. My goal is to finish in less than a hour.
Cheers.

20 comments:

  1. I am an early bird for sleep, but it seems I always run in the late afternoons/evenings except on the weekends - it doesn't make sense but works for me.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your performace in April when you ran the Civitavecchia's 12 Km which is harder than the Grosseto's 12 km race. Of consequence, you can be sure you'll finish the Grosseto's 12 km race in less than a hour.

    Massimo will run the race. See you next Sunday at 07:00 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the race!!

    I'm an early bird. The early bird gets the worm, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your army of feathers and fur.
    I'm an early bird myself and usually get too lazy past noon time so i have to run as soon as I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an early bird on the weekends but just can't get up at 4am to run before work...so I do it in the afternoon and it works for me. Good luck in the 12K this weekend :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an early bird! i love everything about early mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely an early bird. It's so good to have the run over at the start of the day. I can always think of excuses not to run when it's later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed you were able to successfully switch running times like that. I am definitely an early morning runner and honestly don't know that I could make the switch to evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am both ! i love running in the rain, in the snow, in the dark whether it is early or late. My favourite is early evening in the winter - cold and dark in the forest with my headlight on ! I also love the early spring morning runs... i just like to run i think !
    Early morning cycling is becoming a ritual too - less cars !
    ;:O))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your growing army.

    I am a morning person, always been. I enjoy the quiet, cooler temps and fresher air before cars start hitting the road.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Night owl! Although I am forced to be an early bird...ugh!

    I like these members of the army best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Stefano,
    I am a night owl during the week and an early bird on the weekends:)

    Good luck with your upcoming race! You will make your goal...I have a good feeling about this one:) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very fast finishing within the hour, I'm sure you'll reach your goal on that.

    I'm an early bird always have been although I only started running before work this year. Before that I ran after work and before dinner which I still do on some days.

    Like you I love the morning runs because I can rest during the day and have the evening to do other things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always been an early bird. Nothing better than beginning the work day with a good run behind you. I love Pippo and Silvietto. Good to know they are there to guard against sneak attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm more of an early bird, I like to get it done, then I feel like I accomplished something before the day even starts.

    good luck in your race!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I try to be an early bird, but usually end up running later in the day. Or not at all. This is why I need to run with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ran early once & saw all these people out who I had never seen before.
    Hoot hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I prefer early morning, but sometimes end up having to do it in the evening. Sounds like the 23K is going to be a good one. Under and hour eh? Well good luck to you and the rest of the army!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Early bird here too! that is when I seem to have to most energy and motivation. And it also feels good to have gotten it done and out of the way so I can enjoy the rest of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. BK, it's wonderful to hear that you are back to so much running! I was sorry to hear about the pool closing during the weekends but it sounds like you're doing well anyway!
    I love the critters in your kingdom, very noble!

    ReplyDelete