Monday, September 20, 2010

Grosseto 12 km and thank you Lady Julie

Thank you lady Julie. Thank you very much Lady Julie for the much appreciated gift: a wonderful Minnesota Twins t-shirt that has the n° 7 on the back. As she kindly explained, it is the Joe Maver’s number. This player, originally from St. Paul, is the catcher for the Minnesota Twins. Thank you again Julie and sorry if in the picture I look so serious!!!Prologue.Unfortunately more than a race report this is the report of a calvary. I was well trained to finish the 12 km (7,45 ml) under 60 minutes but on friday I began to feel pain for an inflammation of the bladder and this was not the only trouble, in fact I also spent all the night between saturday and sunday with a strong migraine. I decided not to take any medicine because I didn’t want to become weaker (the antibiotics for the inflammation) and to drop the blood pressure (anti-migraine pill). For this reason I was present at the start weak and with a terrible headache despite the advices of Sir Giorgio and his squire Massimo who told that I didn’t have to run. Moreover we could not take any picture and make a short warm up because we arrived late and had only 10 minutes to receive the bibs and wear the running clothes.
The Report. 12 km. (7,45 ml.) in 61’14” (5’06”/km – 8’12”/ml), with an embarrassing 162 of 195, on an easy and flat route. The split: 4’53”-4’54”-4’55”-5’00”-5’09”-05’03”-5’14”-5’26”-5’18”-5’18”-5’05”-5’00”. The crisis is evident, km. after km. I was always slower and once I thought to retire because the migraine was too painful (see that 05’26”); after few moments of stop I decided to keep on running and I arrived slowly at the end of the race. At last I spent all the afternoon and the evening in the bed after having taken a pill for the headache.
The Loot. But the people of Tuscany could not get off scot-free because they know that the Black Knight Army doesn’t take prisoners. To get mercy they gave to the invincible warriors the few poor things that you can see in the picture. We had mercy and left Grosseto between a crowd of applauding people.
The Question. The Sir Giorgio's squire, former page, is hoping to become a knight. Even if he was brave in these latest battles he doesn’t deserve this title. Which could his role be? Please remember that he is not a blogger and this is a big problem for his promotion.

18 comments:

  1. hmmmmm, that's a tough one..maybe Knight in Training?

    great shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good picture of battle spoils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a tough battle, I hope those migranes go away. Way to push through and finish!

    OHH Great LOOT!!

    I need to get you a Red Sox shirt! Just saying, if you are cheering for a team, it might as well be MY team! ha ha ha Just kidding. That is a great shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your migraine has gone away.
    your friend could be Esquire or apprentice knight?
    nice loot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a fast field if an 8:12/mile pace puts you at 162/195!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture of you in the Twins shirt! Nice loot and congrats on your race- very speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great in that shirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're feeling better today Black Knight.

    Seriously, "I came in slow at 5'00 per km" :) hahaha! I wish I was as "slow" as you :)

    Great loot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is too bad you got a migraine during the race - hope you're doing better now. Definitely some great goodies you got for running!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for pushing through under difficult circumstances. You are a brave knight! That is still a good time! The loot really looks good…you look even better in that t-shirt! Hope you are feeling better. I’m not really in a position to comment on the promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your speed will improve soon!
    I agree with your running plan: Montalto and Grosseto are next goals!
    In my opinion, the squire can't became a knight yet :) He isn't a blogger and he doesn't wear black T-shirts :) I told you about Paola, the Italian running woman: she couldn't be a Lady because she doesn't write on a blog :)

    Would you like to eat pizza next friday? Let me know! Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems you battled your infection and migraine like a true knight, no drugs, just toughen it up.
    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, I don't know about those Twins, but if it had been a hockey shirt, I would have felt compelled to send you a Bruins one.......!! How can you not be a Bruin?! Just joking, and the shirt looks great on you.
    Maybe the page can have some training in arms and have the mission to build a blog.....otherwise he can be a squire (the knight's personal servant)....showing promise but not quite ready :-) Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Migraines are the worst! Way to battle through. And I think I may move to Tuscany to race just for the loot!

    How about Knight, 3rd class? He can work up to 1st class and full knighthood?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Julie is one super nice chick!! Nice loot from the race, too...very nice. Hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's some great loot. we get paper in our goody bags. You know...ads. Yuck.

    How about Esquire?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie, I agree...he looks great in that shirt.

    ReplyDelete