Thursday, April 14, 2011

Montalto 10 km - Near the podium.

The Legend. Last Sunday the Black Knight Army invaded and conquered the medieval town of Montalto (see the picture):

The platoon was the same of the last year: the Black Knight, Sir Giorgio (9° in his age group) and his squire Massimo. The Giorgio's running mate Paola (4^ in her age group) arrived by herself to close the enemy into a bloody tongs. We didn't accept to take prisoners but we didn't destroy the ancient castle.

The Report. Another tough route because the town was built on a hill but the organization succeeded in finding an acceptable lap. The results: 9.6 km (5.96 ml) in 44'50" at the pace of 4'40"/km (7'31"/ml). 83° of 136 overall and 4° in my age group. the split: 4'42" - 4'40" - 4'26" - 4'40" - 4'37" - 4'33" - 4'30" - 5'12" - 4'56" - 2'33"(600 meters)
At the start I saw that we were few runners and, as usual, the others are fast so I decided to push from the start but I had to slow down during the 8° and the 9° km to recover and to be ready for the final rush.

The Loot. The loot was very rich, there were awards for the first 10 in every age group. I got a big medal, a bag with wine, coffee and pasta and a wooden box with special wine (lambrusco), cheese, fine chocolate and famous cookies (cantuccini of Siena). Even if I am teetotal I am curious to know what is your favorite wine.

The Injury. Now I need a week off from running (but not from swimming) because I have pain into my groin. For this reason I will not enter the Appia Run on sunday.

27 comments:

  1. It is very good - congratulations on excellent spoils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on an excellent performance and some great loot! Sorry about the groin pain. Enjoy the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice schwag - and an awesome performance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great race! I always love to see what your loot is, my favorite wine is a viognier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "town" is stunning - wow! And holy cow, I am so coming to Italy one day (when I can run again) .. 10 deep in awards? Surly I can place then! :)
    Nice job - now rest up and heal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for resting! Heal up.

    I want a race package like that!! My favorite wines--Malbec, pinot noir, and a nice cabarnet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful town!! Of course bet it was a crazy tough course to run..beauty and all!! Holy loot...awesome! Totally beats the crap most races give out.
    I love me a good riesling! Not too sweet and dry..just perfect!
    Hope the injury heals up quick. sounds like body is calling for some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you did not destroy Montalto. I would be crushed if you did. We visited there a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it.
    Get some good rest. As for wine, a good Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Grigio will make me happy. And then there are some late harvest wines...
    OK, it is way too early here to think of wine.
    As usual, envious of your loot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done and what great loot! Rest well and take care of that groin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. peccato per l'appiarun, ma almeno ne è valsa la pena... ;) per la gara e per il bottino!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a great race! I can't believe all the loot you get!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great run, fouth in your age group and excellent loot! Congrats on a great race!

    Sorry about the groin pain!
    Don't worry! Another great run will be held in Rome next month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on placing in your age group! Fantastic! Great loot, too.

    I'm a total wine peasant. Wouldn't know a "good" wine if it came up and introduced itself, but I know what I like...which is riesling and moscato.

    Hope you're feeling all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is some majorly great loot! You did an awesome job and were rewarded well. Love that town you raced in. What a race scene. Jealous

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!! Great race and that is some awesome loot! I am also a non-drinker so am no help with the wine. I hope that your injury heals up quickly so that you can be back on the roads again soon. Until then, enjoy your fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so want to do a race in Italy now! Congratuations on a great race and age group award! Rest up and enjoy all the loot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing prize! The best thing I've ever won is a very ugly mug and a pair of socks. I think I need to come to Italy to race.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Stefano what a great result.
    And I would come to run in Italy only for the loot itself :)

    Take it easy and hopefully you can get back to running next week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great race Stefano! Wow! look at that loot! My favorite wine would be any wine I received in a wooden box after a race! Now rest and enjoy a glass of wine, you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I take it the race was outside the old town. If inside, looks like about 10 laps would be needed.

    Good pace - 4:40 ks is quick (for an old bloke).

    My favourite wine is one Andy put me onto - McWilliams Inheritance Shiraz Cabernet - about $5 a bottle by the case - a good Aussie wine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That necklace looks fit for a Knight. Congratulations on doing so well, and on a hilly course.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome! What great prizes you get, too! Chocolate? Wine? Just my kind of loot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing loot! I hope your week of rest is helping you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! I hope your injury feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - well done on a great race in a beautiful city. That really is amazing loot - awesome! I do hope you are recovering well and will run again soon. My favourite wines are sauvignon blancs from Marlborough in NZ or Western Australia. I like Pinot Grigio too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great race! I hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice loot! I don't ever recall receiving THAT much loot from any race I've been in. Congratulations on reaching the podium.

    Take care of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete