Thursday, May 26, 2011

Race for the Cure

Race for the Cure. Last Sunday I entered with my son Paolo the “Race for the Cure”, a 5 km to help the breast cancer research. The route runs through the heart of ancient Rome: the Circus Maximus, Caracalla Thermal Baths, Piazza Venezia, the Imperial Forums, the Colosseum and Via S. Gregorio. Under a hot sun (32° C – 90° F) we ran with other 40.000 persons: only 1900 in the competitive race. To have an idea of the crowd, you have to know that when I arrived at the finishing line many people had to start again. However the organization was perfect. For a mistake we got the bibs of the no-competitive race but the mighty Black Knight (and his son) threatening and scaring the security entered into the competitive corral. It is impossible and dangerous to stop the members of the Black Knight Army!!!! Before the event we met at the blogpoint some members of the ItalianBlogTrotters: GIAN CARLO, Karim, Francescarun (in her blog you can see the picture of the group), er Moro, Maxrun and others.

The Report. The path was undulate and on the ground there were the uncomfortable “sanpietrini”, ancient and typical little cubes of porphyry, instead of the asphalt. I was not ready to race because of the long stop (the injury + the bronchitis) and the few and slow workouts; it was very tough for me. The split explains very well what happened: 4’49” (very very crowded) – 4’40” - 4’44” – 4’50” and 4’54”. As you can see every km was slower than the previous. After the effort I needed a brick of gel and a big coca cola to recover the strength. Finishing time 23’57” (4’48”/km – 7’43”/ml): the personal worst (the first 5km few months after the operation in 2008 doesn't count). And this personal worst deserves my worst pictures during a race (the Black Knight is the n° 26721):

If I had entered the competitive I would have arrived 825° of 1900 overall. My son Paolo (26720) made a good race with a finishing time of 25’55” (5’11”/km – 8’20”/ml).

The Next Future. To avoid other injures I decided not to run anymore 2 races in a row so I will not enter a beautiful 10 km on the next Sunday.

Question: If you are not ready for a race, what do you do? Are you able to take it easy and to race only for fun?

25 comments:

  1. Well, I did a 5K run as my third run off a 2 month hiatus for my knee and just went for fun, so I'd say yes I am able to take it easy and race for fun. although that race wasn't all that fun, but that was due to the cold windy weather that morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time racing for fun...wish I could let that go! Great that you and Paolo got to race together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cmq sotto i 5/km, come compete al tuo rango! ;) gara poco adatta al crono ma sempre ricca di fascino.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too darn hot!

    I don't mind doing an event for fun rather than for time, but I really prefer training to racing, so it's relatively unlikely that I'd do a slowish shortish race instead of a longer training run unless the point was to do it with friends or family. Very nice that you and your son run together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you deserve a pat on the back for racing with bronchitis, injury and in that heat. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering all the factors here, I think you did great! I tend to look at most races as fun and/or training races or my nerves tend to get the better of me. Most times, if I'm training for a race any before it I try to use for training runs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry it wasn't your best, but at least you got to run with a friend!

    I tend to rest between races, usually a few weeks in between.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Racing for fun is almost impossible. I say I will and it doesn't work. That is a lot of people and very hot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Race for the Cure series is well attended too. Looks like a lot of fun across the pond.

    I like to actually see how fast I can run when I enter a race, so now I don't enter as many because I'm not at all fast. They definitely help me stay motivated though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never feel like I'm ready to race but I just do the best that I cam on the day. I've got a 10k coming up next weekend and I've decided, on the strength of last week's 5k, that I'll try to run with the pacer for the first time ever. And if I'm feeling okay at the 8k mark I'll try to bring it home strong. That's the plan anyway - whether it works on the day is another thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a beautiful run. You are still very fast even if you think you are slow.

    I do race for fun sometimes, but not often. I try to run each race better than the previous one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a very hard time only racing for fun! I did manage to do it at my half marathon in May, but I was *really* undertrained and it would have been beyond miserable to race.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 23:57 isn't too bad considering the conditions and your recent cold. I think we would be having a nice race on our flat fast courses down here.

    I have done races at 'tempo' effort for training (I'm sensible these days) but even so, they're not as much fun as real races. I think I can race short events more often (5k and under).

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was held a great race for an important social cause! You son, Paolo, ran a good race considering that he isn't following any workout schedule.
    Your average pace is good too!
    See you this evening at 08:30 p.m.|

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job to you and your son, despite not going exactly as you hoped...sounds like a very fun event nevertheless!!

    I used to run race after race after race. Um, let me with a minor heel problem for well over a year so I'm glad you're listening and not overdoing it too much with the race next weekeend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your personal Worst lol !!! We all have those terrible running stories to tell.
    I'm very naughty when it comes to giving my body a rest. I just take Ibuprofen and run anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Personal worst? LOL! Good job considering all the conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Racing for fun does not work for me...I am sorry you had to battle all those elements, but you did well considering!

    I have raced without feeling truly prepared, it depends on the race. Most often I will choose not to. I try not to register until race day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry it wasn't your best race - but at least you got out there. Sounds like some tough conditions. Also the idea of not racing 2 in a row might help you with injury like you said. Also I always just race for fun. When you are as slow as I am, you have no choice! ha ha

    Also, thank you so much for your kind words about Bailey, I so very much appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I'm not ready for a race I do take it slow. My half marathon in January was like that because I was sick, but it felt good for me to be there. That was also my personal worst, but I was happy.

    It seems like you need more rest. Take care of yourself and you'll be race ready soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cry. If I'm not ready to race then I have to stay away completely. I can't run a race just for fun and to be at the race makes me sad. I know I shouldn't be so serious but it's hard not to when I love running so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh thats way too hot for a good race anyway. I finally learned how to run easy in races I'm not well prepared for. But it's no fun. I know you'll be back to your speedy self in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for doing this event on behalf of all of us pink ribbon pushers. :) Still a good 5k time! You will be back to your super speedy self in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have injury fear...if I run to much or too often....I get injured! I wish I could pull off what some other runners do..but I have to be cautious! I would only jump into a 5k unprepared! I love that you running is fun and spontaneous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If not ready to race - I can't say no, suffer, and that much more thankful when I cross the finish line (hopefully).

    Thanks for helping with a great cause.

    Running with your son - Looking forward to that day when I run with mine at the Disney half (his first).

    ReplyDelete