Friday, January 13, 2012

Blogger Gift Exchange

Blogger Gift Exchange. I got my Christmas gift from Jill's bloggy exchange and it was a nice surprise because it is an item that I was thinking to buy. I received a Road ID, thanks a lot my dear friend Christi. Often I run alone far from the city and through the country, so it is a very useful present.

Lidense Trophy. On Sunday a Black Knight Army’s platoon (the B.K., Sir Giorgio and his humble squire Massimo) will march to the battlefield of Ostia for a 15 km race. That is the Sir theyogi County and he needs our help to defeat the bloody enemies who put under siege his territory. Below (July 2011) you can see the humble squire while loading the Black Knight’s bag on the Sir Giorgio’s car (he is laughing because it’s a honour for him to serve the invincible Knights) and the platoon after a battle:


Latest workouts. This was a tapering week so after the 24.3 km (15.1 mi) of saturday, I did only relaxing runs: monday 10.5 km, wednesday 10 km and this morning 12 km (7.45 mi). After the failure of the marathon I don’t follow a scheduled plan and I feel lazy; for this reason, not to stress my mind, I run every other day. I hope to find again the right spirit with the next programmed races.

Question: Do you plan a long distance run 7 days before a race no longer than a half marathon?

15 comments:

  1. I think it's good to have a bit of a down time after following a strict program for a while. It freshens you up and makes you ready and keen for the next block of training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Char, a bit of down time after your hard schedule the past weeks is okay. You'll pick it up again soon enough.

    Have fun at Sunday's race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down time is good! I am glad you liked your gift. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY, your gift arrived! I sent one to SA over a month ago and it's still not there :(. Anyway, glad you like the RoadID, a very useful gift for sure!

    What are you drinking in that picture that is VERY red?

    Looking forward to your 2012 season, it's going to be a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. più che una battaglia sarà una scaramuccia... ;)) dovrò sforzarmi di tenere il ritmo maratona e finire in progressione, altrimenti mi s'incazza il coach! conto cmq di stare dentro gli 80'....

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Sunday, January, 15th, the squire will be useful considering our luggage and our heavy loot :)

    We're meeting next Sunday at 07:15 a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been meaning to buy a road id, but not yet. Way to put the squire to work. One day I hope to be a Knight so people will tote my stuff around too. For now, I am just happy to be alive. hahaha. As far as long runs a week before any race? Hmmmm....It depends on how long the long run is I guess. You aren't the only one feeling lazy, but I think I finally have the ball rolling. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure what you are calling distance but the only races I taper much for are halves or marathons so I would be doing a long run the weekend before. I take at least the day if not two off before a race though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck in your upcoming battle. Take no prisoners!

    My weekly (Saturday) long run is usually 15k, so I wouldn't miss it unless I had a race on Sunday. Prior to an important race I'd like to have 3 easier paced days with some strides on the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very nice gift!

    Do I take a long run the weekend before a race of less than 21k? It depends on my race goal. I like to do as well as I can in the few races I do, so I will taper even for a goal 10k or 5k. (But that is while doing speed work during the week.) Maybe the last long run before a goal race will be 8-10 miles. ? IF I am in the middle of marathon training, I will sacrifice the shorter race goal and use it as a workout.

    Don't worry about commenting at 1AM...my computer doesn't wake me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, I am curious...how do I find "my role" in your sidebar. Every time I visit your blog I wonder about this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There was actually an article in the January issue (I think, maybe it was December) of Runners World about picking run distances in the week prior to races of different distances. I found it very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really nice gift! I like my Road ID and feel naked without it. :)

    Yes, I plan a long run, but it depends on the distance. If it's a half marathon, I'll run 10 or 11 miles about 7 days before, but no later than that. After 7 days it's a couple of easy miles and no speed work.

    Best wishes on your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like the army is well trained and prepared.
    I need someone to carry my stuff for me. How did you find your squire? :-)
    Now it is almost midnight on Sunday in Italy and I don't see any updates on the race. How did it go? You need to hire someone to do the flash news for you or get on Facebook so you can quickly update your status. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Road ID! Great present (I need to update mine--the only thing still useful on it is my husband's cell phone).

    How was the 15K? I might do a long run 7 days ahead of a shorter race--it would depend on my goal for the race.

    ReplyDelete