Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer

Time to go to the beach and to take the runs easy because of the heat. When possible my 5 days routine remains the same: run, swim, run, swim, rest but in summer the days at work are hectic so it is difficult to follow this program. The runs are between 10 and 12 km with a weekly longer workout of 14 km (8,7 m). The sessions in the swimming pool are not less than 2000 meters (80 lap lanes). All the mentioned workouts are slower than the usual, in summer I prefer not to overstress my old body. Here is a photo of the beach where I go since 1977:


Next Races. Contrary to the past there are a lot of races in this period. The Black Knight Army made the decision to sign up for the night runs to avoid the hot weather of the summer mornings. On the 1st of July we will run a 10 km in our city: for me it will only be a tempo run because the route is difficult and there are not prizes. On July 6th the main event in Tuscany, 6.3 km (3.9 mg) through the city of Orbetello, with a very good loot to conquer: there, I will try to run a little faster. On July 14th a 10 km in S.Marinella and another tempo run for me. As I have already said I cannot risk more injures, I must learn to manage myself.

Surfing the Web. I have found these 3 photos of the 3 Comuni race (last meters) that I have run last January and, as usual, I am “hiking” a uphill. The n° 1456 is the Sir Giorgio’s humble servant (he is in black uniform too) who left his master, and the running activity, to spend all his time with the new girl-friend. I don’t know if Sir Giorgio will decide to claim the jus primae noctis




Have a good running week

22 comments:

  1. That beach photo looks so inviting. Good luck in all your summer races. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of races to look forward to - good luck and be safe!

    What a beautiful beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish they offered night runs here for races during the summer time! that is very clever! I would sign up for that for sure! I am headed home tonight and will be visiting my family so I am hoping for cooler days!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great race schedule planned... That beach looks wonderful too. Enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the lazy beach days. Summer goes by way too fast! Night races sound wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, the beach looks so inviting! We've had a bad streak of hot/dry weather and severe wildfires out here in Colorado - a change in scenery would be so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, according to the legal framework on the Black Knight Army :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics! Night runs definitely seem the way to go in heat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good strategy to avoid the heat! The beach is lovely. Do you swim in it instead of the pool some? 80 laps is a lot in my book. Great finding those wonderful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Night races? Those don't really exist here in Denver. My running group meets at 6:30 every Tuesday. I skipped tonight because it's 97 degrees....I'd have made one lap and passed out!

    LOVE the beach, jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get a black uniform like you. It's hot here, too. No racing for me yet, but I did get to run outside at last. Soon I hope to be doing the BK Army proud again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're very sensible to keep it slower in Summer. The heat can really take it's toll as we get older. The beach looks great - it's a pity that work is so hectic and you can't spend all your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice pictures! Sounds like you have a very sensible plan for your summer running. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. c'è la possibilità che ci si veda a s.marinella ma ancora non ho deciso: ricordo ancora il tuo racconto dell'anno passato.... ;) oh, 80vasche so na cifra!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you enjoy those summer night runs. That's one of the pleasures of the season -- and it helps you forget when you are running uphill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I envy you guy, enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Run easy my friend and enjoy the beach. I just got back from the beach myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you should let Ireland know that it is summer time. We didn't get the memo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great beach! Enjoy your races,

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was very hot our last days in Italy indeed. But we saw a triathlon last weekend where the runners were running around 2 in the afternoon when it was extremely hot. Hope they all finished okay.

    Have fun at your next races.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sir Giorgio needs to get his priorities in order. Running comes first!

    That's a great photo with the castle in the background. Enjoy summer - running, swimming and a bit of the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful beach! Your summer plans sound like a ton of fun. I need to find some shorter races to squeeze in just for something to do. I miss road racing while I triathlon train. Hope the weather is good for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete