Monday, January 05, 2015

The first race of the year (Acilia cross)

Prologue: Yesterday I have run with Giorgio the first race of this year. It was organized for a social cause, to give food to the homeless. We payed a little fee but we had also to donate food to participate. No swag and no official prizes: only a lottery with 20 items. I won one of them, swimming glasses but….. for kids! The days was sunny and warm, perfect for a race.

The race: a cross through a park in Acilia, near Rome, 5.3 km long with 203 runners at the start. It was an unexpected high number and the organization didn’t succeed in filling the finishers list; never mind, as I wrote above it was for a social cause. Finishing time 27:51 (5:15 km – 8.27 m), yes slow again but in december I have only run 80 km (49.7 m) and the path was challenging (see the elevation chart). However at the moment I prefer to run short races not to get injured again. After we had a special lunch in a typical restaurant on the hill with wonderful local food.




Have you already run the first race of the year?

14 comments:

  1. No races scheduled yet! It's so cold here in the winter that I use these as my rest months. GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, not slow at all. Nice result and great cause as well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year ago I bet you never imagined you'd be back racing. I am so happy to see this. You've made a wonderful comeback. No races here until March or April. Weather is crazy cold and snowy now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great last photo of you. You look so happy to be running. Or finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back running races again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that last picture!

    Great way to kick off the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have run my first race of the year. Too bad the swim goggles were for kids. But it sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your finishing picture! It looked like a lovely sunny day and it's great to have a good cause to race for :) Great job on the finish and yes, running and enjoying it is good! Sorry about my posting snafu above!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sono abbastanza invidioso sia delle tue splendide foto e sia degli occhialini che vinto :) è ovvio che scherzo!

    Rilassante mattinata sotto tutti i punti di vista. A metà del mese ci vediamo per una pizza e programmiamo ulteriori gare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Stefano! Nice racing - 5:15 per km is NOT slow - you would be a very good Parkrunner with a pace like that. Great photos too!
    My first race - yes, a very happy 5k in 23:23 on a beautiful warm morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would rather do a race for a good cause than do one with a loot but that's my opinion.

    Great way to start the new year.

    I haven't raced yet but then again I won't be racing this year at all. I'm done with that. I run for fun and focus more on long walks this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids swimming goggles O_O that's a funny prize. Maybe a grandson will like it!

    The last photo is fantastic!! You look just thrilled to be crossing the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't run any races this year - waiting until after my son's wrestling season. Great job on the running! Love the pic of you finishing the race! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete